Can’t attend the James Beard Foundation Gala: A Night of Award Winners on November 10 at the Rainbow Room? The impressive collection of the more than 90 silent auction packages are available now to bid, and include:
- a four-night stay in a Belizean jungle suite
- a decadent black truffle dinner at RedFarm
- a three-tier Milk Bar dream cake designed in part by Christina Tosi
- a trip to the world-renowned Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman
- an 18-course ‘Black Card Experience’ at Thomas Keller’s French Laundry
For more information go to 501auctions.com/jbfgala2017.
To bid on the LIVE auction packages or attend the JBF Gala the evening of November 10, please visit:jamesbeard.org/events.
The James Beard Foundation Announces 2017 JBF Gala:
A Night of Award Winners
~ Honorary Event ChairsTed Allen, Carla Hall and Andrew Zimmern join JBF Award–Winning Chefs for a special fundraiser honoring JBF president, Susan Ungaro ~
New York, NY –The James Beard Foundation (JBF), the world’s foremost culinary arts organization, is pleased to announce details of the JBF Gala: A Night of Award Winners. The 2017 fall gala fundraiser will feature a once-in-a-lifetime collaborative dinner by a distinguished lineup of James Beard Award–winning chefs and beverage professionals to celebrate Susan Ungaro for her extraordinary leadership as the Foundation’s president since 2006. The black-tie event will take place on Friday, November 10 at the iconic Rainbow Room in New York City, and will include a multi-course dinner with fine wine pairings; a live auction of priceless culinary experiences; dessert reception with live music; and more.
The 2017 JBF Gala honorary chairs* are Ted Allen, Carla Hall and Andrew Zimmern.
“Susan’s vast accomplishments such as spearheading impact initiatives, increased scholarship funding and creative awards programing, will allow the Foundation to be the leading force for good in the culinary industry,” said Fred Seegal, chair of the JBF Board of Trustees. “Under her leadership the Foundation has become a global brand and an indispensable organization for chefs and other culinary leaders around the world. This will be a magical and moving evening as we fete Susan on her remaining tenure as president.”
The illustrious chef lineup will include:
- JBF Award Winner Lidia Bastianichand Fortunato Nicotra, Felidia, NYC
- JBF Award Winner Barbara Lynch, Barbara Lynch Gruppo, Boston
- JBF Award Winner, Jonathon Sawyer, The Greenhouse Tavern, Cleveland
- JBF Award Winner Michael Solomonov, Zahav, Philadelphia
- JBF Award–Winning Pastry Chef Ghaya Oliveira, Daniel, NYC
- Host Chef Mathew Woolf, Rainbow Room, NYC
- JBF Award–Winning Sommelier Larry Stone, Lingua Franca, Willamette Valley, OR
- Bar Director William Elliott, Maison Premiere, Brooklyn, NY
The 2017 JBF Fall Gala menu will include:
Chef Mathew Woolf, Rainbow Room, NYC
- Mushroom Crackers > Tapioca Crackers with Pickled Mushrooms and Mushroom Aïoli
- Crispy Oysters with Pickled Vegetable Salad and Yuzu
- Grassfed Beef Wellington Bites with Mushroom Duxelles and Béarnaise Sauce
- Scotch Quail Eggs with Smoked Curry Oil
- Fennel–Parmesan Biscuits with Fennel Pollen, Cream Cheese, and Candied Orange
- Crispy Chicken with Shrimp, Soy, Sesame, and Scallions
Jonathon Sawyer, The Greenhouse Tavern, Cleveland
- Scallop Terrarium > Chilled Scallop Crudo with Smoked Scallop Roe, Braised Tripe Mousseline, Foraged Ohio Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Pine Mugulio, and Ohio Sumac
Lidia Bastianich and Fortunato Nicotra, Felidia, NYC
- Cacio e Pepe
Barbara Lynch, Barbara Lynch Gruppo, Boston
- Roasted Duck Breast with Parsnip Purée, Spiced Prunes, and Chestnuts
Michael Solomonov, Zahav, Philadelphia
- Zahav Lamb Shoulder with Pomegranate and Chickpeas over Persian Rice
Dessert Reception by:
Pastry Chef Ghaya Oliveira, Daniel, NYC
Host Chef Mathew Woolf, Rainbow Room, NYC
The 2017 JBF Gala event chairs Henni and John Kessler; and Robin and Fred Seegal, and vice chairs Ellen Hanson and Richard Perlman will be heading up a special VIP experience that includes an exclusive kitchen tour, tasting, and photo opportunity with the evening’s chefs. Silent and live auction packages will support the James Beard Foundation’s mission and programs to celebrate, nurture, and honor chefs and other leaders making America’s food culture more delicious, diverse, and sustainable for everyone.
The 2017 JBF Gala sponsors include Gourmet Settings, La Colombe® and Saratoga Spring Water*. The 2017 JBF Gala supporter is Chefwear.
*list in formation
For more information about the JBF Gala: A Night of Award Winners, visit jbfgala.org. Tickets to the event are priced at $750 for JBF members/$1,000 for the general public and can be reserved by calling 212-627-2308. For table purchases, please contact Michelle Santoro at email@example.com or 212-627-111x 552.
About the James Beard Foundation
Founded in 1986, the James Beard Foundation celebrates, nurtures, and honors chefs and other leaders making America’s food culture more delicious, diverse, and sustainable for everyone. A cookbook author and teacher with an encyclopedic knowledge about food, the late James Beard was a champion of American cuisine. He helped educate and mentor generations of professional chefs and food enthusiasts, instilling in them the value of wholesome, healthful, and delicious food. Today JBF continues in the same spirit by administering a number of diverse programs that include educational initiatives, food industry awards, scholarships for culinary students, publications, chef advocacy training, and thought-leader convening. The Foundation also maintains the historic James Beard House in New York City’s Greenwich Village as a “performance space” for visiting chefs. For more information, please visit jamesbeard.org. Get food news, recipes, and more at the James Beard Foundation’s blog, or subscribe to the free digital newsletter Beard Bites. Follow @beardfoundation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Snapchat. Watch the James Beard House Kitchen Cam, James Beard Awards, and more on the Foundation’s Livestream channel. Find more JBF-related video on the Foundation’s YouTube channels.
Maralyn D. Hill, M.Ed., The Epicurean Explorer
Executive Editor, LuxeBeatMag.com
Editor-in-Chief, Where and What in the World
Freelance Lifestyle Journalist
Member: International Food Wine & Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA)
Member: Society of American Travel Writers (SATW)
Member: Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
Follow me: @maralynhill
We welcome press releases on the food, wine, travel, and items related to the hospitality industry. We receive emails with more than we can post to our service. If you would like to post a press release, please click the the submission tab to get the form to upload your release. You can also upload three photos. It will go in pending and be scheduled, unless it is inappropriate. This will enable more of you to have your releases up in a timely manner.