FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Townsend Public Relations
THE VILLAGE OF DEL MAR DEBUTS HISTORIC WALKING TOUR
DOWN MEMORY LANE
New Tech-Driven Walking Tour Provides an Interactive Look
at Del Mar’s Vibrant Past
DEL MAR, Calif. – November 2014 – Ideally situated 20 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the seaside village of Del Mar has long been known for its beautiful beaches, shopping and dining, but what many will soon learn, it’s the story and history behind its modern day attractions that set the stage for Del Mar’s glamorous existence. Dating back to early residents such as Jimmy Durante, Desi and Lucy Arnaz and Bing Crosby, visitors to the village can now enjoy a walk down memory lane with the help of a newly installed, guided walking tour.
Around the Village of Del Mar, new QR coded plaques have been installed on several of the historically significant buildings in the area. With the touch of a smartphone or tablet, pedestrians can now scan the code and access detailed information on the buildings and the colorful past of the residents who developed the seaside neighborhood in the early 1900s.
Plaque locations include;
- Historic Walking Tour – originally built in 1910, through the years it was also known as the Stratford Inn and the Hotel Del Mar.
- Stratford Square – historically known as the Kockritz Building, which was the most prominent building in town during 1927 when it was established.
- Del Mar Library – formerly the St. James Catholic Church, which celebrated its first mass in 1914 without pews, lights or an altar.
- Davidson Building – built in 1927 at the Hotel Del Mar Garage, it later added gasoline and automotive services and grew into a thriving automotive shop.
- St. Peter’s Church – carefully preserved since its construction in 1940, the church remains Del Mar’s only house of worship and features a beautiful redwood interior.
- Jake’s Del Mar – formerly the Stratford Inn Garage, established in 1910 it was the first garage to serve hotel guests.
- En Fuego Cantina and Grill – originally built in 1930, the former space housed the Family Mushet Office and Residence.
- 1414-1418 Camino Del Mar ~Shops along Camino Del Mar – the buildings date back to 1926 and one in particular served as the old Del Mar Post Office known at the Kibler Building. It housed Mae Kibler, the town’s Postmistress and her husband who owned a real estate office next door.
- Del Mar Plaza – one of the most historically significant buildings in the area, despite its 1989 origin, it commemorates the neighborhood’s past and evolution over the years.
Future plaques are planned for to be installed in the upcoming months to encourage more visitors to enjoy the preservation and restoration of the historic locations and learn more about the Village of Del Mar’s rich history. In addition, a walking map will be produced to help with a self-guided tour of the Village of Del Mar’s historic points of interest. For more information visit http://www.delmarmainstreet.
About Del Mar
Located 20 miles north of the San Diego airport, Del Mar offers vintage California charm with its walkable, pet friendly village set along two miles of beautiful California coastline. Known for its world famous thoroughbred Del Mar Racetrack, popular surf breaks, walkable beaches, spas, ocean view dining and shopping, Del Mar is the perfect year-round destination. The historic and charming Del Mar Village offers a variety of accommodations from the luxury L’Auberge Del Mar to the eclectic Les Artistes Inn. For more information, visit: www.delmarmainstreet.com.
# # #
Executive Editor, LuxeBeatMag.com
Luxe Beat Magazine Digital Editions now online at http://luxebeatmag.com/magazine/
Freelance Lifestyle Journalist
Board Member, Co-Chair Conference & Media Trip Committee, Past President
Member: Society of American Travel Writers (SATW)
Member: Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
Follow me: @maralynhill
We welcome press releases on the food, wine, travel, and items related to the hospitality industry. We receive emails with more than we can post to our service. If you would like to post a press release, please click the the submission tab to get the form to upload your release. You can also upload three photos. It will go in pending and be scheduled, unless it is unappropriate. This will enable more of you to have your releases up in a timely manner.