|(Ventura, Calif.) – Summertime in California means lively festivities on beautiful beaches. This summer, Surf Rodeo aims to uphold the tradition with the repeat of last summer’s triumphant revival of the renowned Surf Rodeo – a 2 day combination of surfing competitions, rodeo games, and full-on music festival. Los Angeles is famous for being the West Coast’s music epicenter, and on July 12th & 13th that epicenter is heading coastward to none other than sunny Ventura.
Whether drawn by the surf, by the sounds, or by the overall spectacle, Surf Rodeo has something for everyone.
1. The sounds – Surf Rodeo is proud to be home to a plethora of talented artists on two ocean-side stages this year, including:
Saturday, July 12: Cisco Adler; Birdbrain; Cornerstone; the Grim; Klockwyze; Lime Cordiale; New Beat Fund; Suburban Legends; Sweet N’ Low; Raging Arb & the Redheads andthe Vonettes.
Sunday, July 13: Pato Banton; Age of Aquarius; Cool Arrows; Jackass; Jukebox Mutiny;Shaky Feelin’; Ska Daddyz; the Upbeat and Wordsauce.
2. The philanthropy – There will be live auctions and a benefit drawing at the 2014 Surf Rodeo with proceeds benefitting the Boys & Girls Clubs of greater Ventura, the Girls Empowerment Workshop, and A Walk on Water, among others. This year’s prizes include a fully restored 1977, two-toned white and yellow Volkswagen Bus, brought back to life by the helping hands of local community businesses, that includes two surfboards, one shaped by pro surfer, Dane Reynolds and the other the board from the feature film” Endless Bummer.” More than ten other boards will also be auctioned off benefiting a variety of non-profit organizations.
3. The good eats – Between the permanent restaurants just off the beach on South Seaward and the event-only food trucks, bellies will be pleasantly tantalized with options for yummy food. Plus, with two beer gardens in place, there will be plenty to wash it all down with for those old enough to partake.
4. The surfing – Get up bright and early because surf competitions start at 6 AM daily! Rumor has it that stunt surfers will be on-site doing what they do best on Day 1… Note: Deadline to enter surf competitions has passed, but some categories will remain open until rosters are full.
5. The rodeo – Whether as a spectator or participant, the Surf Rodeo’s assortment of crazy competitions are sure to entertain all. From “surfing” the mechanical bull to the hay bale obstacle course to the “greased pig” buoy race, contestants will battle it out for the coveted “Surf Rodeo Grand Champion” title.
As an added bonus, this year there will be a Surf Rodeo Cornhole competition! Registration (up to 50 teams) is allowed until 12 PM on day 1 of Surf Rodeo.
6. The shopping – Home to over 70 vendors showcasing their mostly local wares, the possibilities are endless for the shopper in everyone.
7. The unique atmosphere – Adding to the fascinating juxtaposition of surfers and cowboys, Surf Rodeo will feature a General Store/waterhole for Surf Rodeo merchandise – but the fun doesn’t stop there. Also gracing Ventura’s Pierpont Beach entrance will be a quirky 10-foot horseshoe that will make for a perfect photo-op for attendees.
8. The “Bikini Cowgirl Roundup” – For the ladies who may be interested in a crown that involves less surf, there is the chance to be crowned Surf Rodeo’s reigning queen via a (family-friendly!) bikini competition. Deadline to enter is July 1st.
9. Bring the family – Surf Rodeo is all ages! Nobody has to miss out on the fun. There will even be a special “Kids Corral” where youngsters can get their faces painted, bounce around in a jumper and experience Surf Rodeo in ways that only kids can.
10. GREAT VALUE – Advance tickets are only $25 for a weekend pass or $15 for a single day! Children 12 & under are always free.