A Celebration of Mexican Independence
Portland, Maine— In celebration of Mexico becoming independent in September of 1810, Chef Shannon Bard and tequila sommelier and managing partner, Sergio Ramos will host a tequila dinner at Zapoteca restaurant in Portland, Maine on September 23rd at 6:30 p.m. The five-course dinner will be paired with several varieties of Herradura, a tequila that has been hand crafted since 1870, the only 100% hacienda-made tequila in the world.
The five-course menu includes:
• The first course, Empanda de Conejo con Tuerca Ahumado Mole which is adobo glazed rabbit empanada, walnuts and smoky nut mole paired with Zapoteca’s Pina-Lope Margarita.
• The second course is Sopa de Langosta de Maine con Maiz Local y Chile Poblano, local corn, poblano chile and sweet Maine Lobster bisque and house made Mexican creme with micro cilantro. This course will be paired with Herradura Blanco.
• The fish course – Oceano, is Vieras con Mole Verde y Gambas Enpolvadas con Chile which is chile dusted prawns, sweet scallops, green mole and Stone Cypher Farm’s greens paired with Herradura Reposado .
• The fourth course is, Tierra, Duo de Cordero, duo of lamb, pepita crusted rack of lamb, barbocoa style roasted lamb shoulder, roasted pasilla agave glaze and masa corn pudding and paired with Herradura Anejo.
• The fifth course is dessert and will be Pina Divina which is tequila glazed pineapple cake, pineapple sorbet, candied pineapple with tequila caramel sauce. paired with Herradura Selecion Suprema.
“We are excited to celebrate Mexico’s independence by educating people on authentic Mexican cuisine and how hand-crafted tequila can enhance these amazing flavors and the experience,” said Shannon Bard, executive chef and proprietor of Zapoteca and Mixteca. “Sergio Ramos has completed the first phase of tequila expert class “T” certification by the Tequila Regulatory Council of Mexico and is endorsed by the association of tequila from Mexico He loves to share his knowledge of tequila and great Mexican cuisine which I know will be a treat for our guests.”
Tickets are $75 for the tequila dinner and seats are limited so please call the restaurant today to make your reservation at 207-772-8242.
About Mixteca & Zapoteca
Executive Chef Shannon Bard and her husband Tom Bard opened their first restaurant, Zapoteca Restaurante Y Tequileria, in Portland, Maine in 2011. The mission of Zapoteca is to take deep-rooted, vibrantly flavored Mexican dishes, use a combination of modern and old world cooking techniques and present dishes in a truly unique way.
Growing up in Oklahoma, Shannon Bard and her family would sit together and enjoy large meals prepared by her grandmother and mother. Shannon would join them in the kitchen and spend hours making vibrantly flavored meals prepared from scratch.
Meanwhile, her father and grandfather, both small farmers, imparted lessons on seasonal produce and the hard work and dedication farmers put into each and every crop.
These early influences inspired Shannon to attend culinary school. Following her training at the Culinary Institute of America in San Antonio, Texas, Shannon, her husband Tom Bard and long-time friend Sergio Ramos opened Zapoteca Restaurante Y Tequileria.
Mixteca, their second restaurant, opened in Durham, New Hampshire earlier this year. For more information on the restaurants please visit http://www.zapotecarestaurant.com.
Angie Helton, Northeast Media Associates
We welcome press releases on the food, wine, travel, and items related to the hospitality industry. We receive emails with more than we can post to our service. If you would like to post a press release, please click the the submission tab to get the form to upload your release. You can also upload three photos. It will go in pending and be scheduled, unless it is unappropriate. This will enable more of you to have your releases up in a timely manner.