From Honest Cooking, Saveurs 2012 Best Food Blog
Cheesecake Berry Brulee – Cheesecake Recipe PDF 1-3-2013
By Maralyn Hill
This classic twist on a combination of cheesecake and brulee works magic with the taste buds. It was featured on the fall menu of The District American Kitchen & Wine Bar. It’s delicious and I’m sure some creative rendition will replace it starting January 1.
|Cheesecake Berry Brulee||
- • 2 ¾ cups of heavy cream
- • 7 ounces of sugar
- • ¾ cup of egg yolks
- • 1 vanilla bean
- • 8 ounces of cream cheese
- • ½ pint of blackberries
- • ½ pint of raspberries
- • ½ pint of blueberries
- • Mint leaves for garnish
- Heat the heavy cream, vanilla beans, and sugar.
- Once the cream is hot, add the cream cheese and stir until it is melted.
- Then temper in the egg yolks and slowly stir them in.
- Remove custard from heat and strain through a sieve to remove lumps and vanilla bean.
- Wash and clean berries.
- Place them in the bottom of six 8 ounces oven-safe ramekins and ladle over the custard.
- Place ramekins in a water bath and bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and refrigerate for at least five hours or overnight. Remove the cheesecake brulee from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before browning the tops with sugar.
- Divide half a cup of granulated sugar over the six ramekins and spread evenly on top of each one.
- Using a torch, melt the sugar and form a crispy top. Garnish with extra berries and mint leaf.
Maralyn Dennis Hill, The Epicurean Explorer, was born to travel and tell the tale. From local cuisine to Michelin Star, simple to gourmet, Maralyn enjoys it all. Discovering flavors, spices, and trends worldwide, from Bocuse d’Or to being a judge at the Turks & Caicos Conch Festival, Oregon Chocolate Festival and others, or interviewing chefs, she is intrigued by all aspects of culinary tourism and sharing her experiences. Maralyn is editor-at-large for CityRoom, Inc., contributes regularly to The Epoch Times, AFAR, JETSETextra, and others, including but not limited to Business Insider, The Wall Street Journal, and JustLuxe.com. Maralyn is past president of the International Food Wine & Travel Writers Association and continues on the board of directors as Co-Chair of the Conference & Media Trip Committee. She is always ready to experience flavors of any culture and share its tale.