PHOENIX, Ariz., September 17, 2012 –
Though Afternoon Tea at the Arizona Biltmore (www.arizonabiltmore.com
) is an 83-year tradition dating back to when the resort opened in 1929, the experience changes each year – with an infusion of trendy tea sandwiches, popular teas, and innovative desserts and pastries.
“The roots of Afternoon Tea go back several hundred years to England, but at the Arizona Biltmore we keep it fresh and lively by updating the menu each year with original and creative items,” said General Manager David Kirken. “Our guests this year are going to especially enjoy the special surprise menu each month of sweets that celebrate the season or a special holiday.”
Ensuring every guest enjoys Afternoon Tea to the fullest is Tea Sommelier Kevin Doyle. Bringing extensive knowledge in teas and tea service, he welcomes each guest personally, graciously explains the menu, describes the flavors and characteristics of the different teas, and oversees the complete Afternoon Tea experience. (See a video of the Biltmore’s tea sommelier: http://youtu.be/rSDCOjPetTc
On the menu for the 83rd season are:
– An array of black, green and white teas and infusions.
– A selection of tea sandwiches and salads.
– Freshly baked scones and desserts.
- Served Thursday through Sunday from November 1, 2012 through May 11, 2013, with two seating times: 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm.
- $36 per person, or $46 with a cocktail; children under 12 are $26. Tax and gratuity additional.
- Vegetarian and gluten-free menus are available with 24-hour advance notice.
- Reservations are strongly recommended; seating is limited. Please call 602-381-7632.
Among the tea sandwiches and salads will be:
- Smoked Salmon with Cream Fraiche, Cucumber, Sweet Red Onion and Capers, served open-face on pumpernickel
- Dill and Shrimp Salad in Cherry Tomatoes
- Truffled Egg Salad with Bib Lettuce, on egg brioche
- Lobster-Basil Salad, in profiterole crisp
- House Smoked turkey with Arizona Orange Marmalade, on cranberry bread
- “Waldorf Salad,” with pulled chicken and sweet grapes in curry tart cylinder
- Tomato Confit, Broccoli-Walnut pesto, Hose Pulled Mozzarella, Caramelized Onion, on focaccia
- Fossil Creek Goat Cheese Truffle, with candied pistachios
- Queen Creek Olive Oil Grilled Vegetable and Olive Tapenade, in a zucchini cup
- Crisp Apple, Grape and Almond Profiteroles
- Sweet Potato with White Currants & Fig Spread, on dark chocolate-cherry bread
The dessert menus will be themed seasonally, such as a Holiday menu in December, Valentine’s Day in February, April for Spring and May for Mother’s Day. For the Afternoon Tea kickoff month of November, the sweet treats to be served include:
- Orange-Cranberry Scone, with vanilla custard
- Spiced Pumpkin Mousse Swan
- Sweet Potato Pound Cake
- Ginger Rosemary Brule
- Maple Leaf Shortbread Cookie
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry
- Lavender French Macaroon
- Milk Chocolate Carmel Truffle
Among the teas and infusions will be:
- Black: Bombay Chai, Pomegranate Blackberry, Hazelnut Truffle
- Green: Green Mango Peach, Cucumber Mint
- White: Ginger and Pear, White Ambrosia,
- Herbal Infusions: African Solstice, Flora
- Biltmore Blends: Sage, Blueberry Green Tea
About the Arizona Biltmore
The Arizona Biltmore has been an Arizona landmark since opening in 1929, when it was crowned the “Jewel of the Desert.” The legendary Grand Dame
remains one of the most recognized resorts in the world for its distinctive Frank Lloyd Wright architectural style, luxurious facilities, and storied history as a playground of the rich and famous. Nestled on 39 acres at the foot of the Phoenix Mountain Preserve, the legendary resort offers: 740 guest accommodations; full-service Spa, Salon and Fitness Center; two 18-hole golf courses; six restaurants and lounges including Wright’s at The Biltmore, preparing classic dishes updated with today’s culinary perspective, and Frank & Albert’s serving Arizona comfort food; eight swimming pools including the Paradise Pool with a 90-foot waterslide and swim-up bar; and seven tennis courts. The Arizona Biltmore is a Waldorf Astoria Resort®
About Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
WALDORF ASTORIA is Hilton Worldwide’s luxury brand of landmark hotels, with each one as singular and timeless as the brand’s namesake, The Waldorf=Astoria Hotel in New York. From classic elegance to modern grandeur, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts each represent worldly sophistication and unparalleled guest service. From sumptuous spas and culinary excellence to world-class golf, each hotel & resort offers the exquisite accommodations and signature accoutrements that define refinement and sophistication. Discover Waldorf Astoria by visiting www.waldorfastoria.com
. Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts is one of Hilton Worldwide’s ten market-leading brands.
Marian Gerlich / Ed Placidi
PR & Marketing Manager, Arizona Biltmore