Theresa M. Oakes / T.Oakes@KTCpr.com
Tara Myers / T.Myers@KTCpr.com
PRESS RELEASE #987
**high resolution images available**
PUERTO RICO, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO, BARBADOS
TAKE TOP HONORS AT TASTE OF THE CARIBBEAN 2012
THE CARIBBEAN (June 27, 2012) – Puerto Rico received top honors as Caribbean Culinary Team of the Year, sponsored by U.S. Dairy Export Council, at the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association’s (CHTA) 2012 “Taste of the Caribbean” culinary competition hosted at the Hyatt Regency, Miami. The highest individual honors were bestowed upon Devon Joseph, Trinidad & Tobago, for Caribbean Chef of the Year, sponsored by Sysco; Jamaal Bowen, Barbados, for Caribbean Bartender of the Year; Pablo Colon, Puerto Rico, for Caribbean Pastry Chef of the Year, sponsored by Albert Uster Imports, Inc.; and Isaiah Connel, Trinidad & Tobago, for Caribbean Junior Chef of the Year.
Following are all of the honors bestowed at Taste of the Caribbean:
- Caribbean Culinary Team of the Year, sponsored by U.S. Dairy Export Council: presented to the Puerto Rico Culinary Team
- Caribbean Chef of the Year, sponsored by Sysco: presented to Devon Joseph, Trinidad & Tobago
- Caribbean Pastry Chef of the Year, sponsored by Albert Uster Imports: presented to Pablo Colon, Puerto Rico
- Caribbean Bartender of the Year: presented to Jamaal Bowen, Barbados
- Caribbean Junior Chef of the Year: presented to Isaiah Connel, Trinidad & Tobago
- Hans Schenk Commemorative Award for the Most Innovative Menu: presented to the Barbados Culinary Team
- Best Use of Chocolate, sponsored by Albert Uster Imports: presented to Dulish Perera, St. Lucia, for Wild Almond Brownie with dark chocolate mousse
- Most Innovative Dish: presented to Jouvens Jean, Haiti
- Most Creative Bartender: presented to Daniyel Jones, Trinidad & Tobago
- Most Creative Rum Drink: presented to Daniyel Jones, Trinidad & Tobago
- Most Creative Vodka Drink: presented to Daniyel Jones, Trinidad & Tobago
- Most Creative Non-Alcoholic Drink: presented to Roberto Rodriguez, Puerto Rico
- Best Team for Taste of the Islands: presented to Haiti Culinary Team
- The Spirit of the Competition: presented to the Anguilla Culinary Team
Certified Angus Beef Competition sponsored by Certified Angus Beef®
- Best Use of Certified Angus Beef: presented to Joel Rodriguez, Puerto Rico
- Gold Medals: Joel Rodriguez, Puerto Rico
- Silver Medals: Kenneth Molyneaux, British Virgin Islands; Garcia Brown, Jamaica and Charron McKenzie, Bahamas
- Bronze Medals: Shurandy Carolie, Curacao; Odeen Martin, St. Lucia; Darren Connor, Anguilla; Arnold Jupiter, Trinidad & Tobago and Negust Kaza, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Honorary Mention: Christine Dupoux, Haiti and Wilwore Jordan, Barbados
Caribbean Cheese Competition sponsored by U.S. Dairy Export Council
- Best Use of Cheese: presented to Emmerly Gerald, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Gold Medals: Emmerly Gerald, St. Lucia
- Silver Medals: Devon Joseph, Trinidad & Tobago; Gary Goolrachan, U.S. Virgin Islands and Carlos Anthonij, Curacao
- Broze Medals: Brian Lumley, Jamaica; Kevin Pratt, Bahamas; Tanya Malone, British Virgin Islands; Jonathan Hughes, Anguilla and Angel Santiago, Puerto Rico
- Honorable Mentions: Ron Duprat, Haiti and Nathan Chrichlow, Barbados
BoulderShares LLC contributed $2,000 to be donated to the charity of choice of the Best Use of Seafood Prize Winner.
- Best Use of Seafood: presented to Jouvens Jean, Haiti
- Gold Medals: Jouvens Jean, Haiti and Dennis Vanterpool, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Silver Medals: Rensley de Jongh, Curacao; Kenneth Whittington, Barbados; Shanique Bodie, Bahamas; Imran Ashton, British Virgin Islands; Dadrian Cooke, Jamaica and Joel Rodriguez, Puerto Rico
- Bronze Medals: Delroy Fred, St. Lucia; Claudio Gumbs, Anguilla and Rajesh Goolcharan, Trinidad & Tobago
Caribbean Chef Medal Presentations sponsored by Sysco
- Gold Medals: Devon Joseph, Trinidad & Tobago; Justin Hughes, Anguilla and Elijah Jules, St. Lucia
- Silver Medals: Vicky Coles, Haiti; Jamal Small, Bahamas; Kenneth Molyneaux, British Virgin Islands; Angel Santiago, Puerto Rico and Negust Kaza, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Bronze Medals: Carlos Anthonij, Curacao; Randie Anderson, Jamaica and Henderson Butcher, Barbados
Caribbean Junior Chef Medal Presentations
- Gold Medals: Isaiah Connel, Trinidad & Tobago; Julio Lamberty, Puerto Rico
- Silver Medals: Kyle Boursiquot, Haiti; Dwayne Sinclair, Bahamas; Keulys Enrique Gonzalez; Javon Cummins, Barbados and Paulyn Eugene, St. Lucia
- Bronze Medals: Aisheron Phillips, Curacao; Mikhala Bagot, British Virgin Islands; Joseph Hodge, Anguilla and Shaneica Case, Jamaica
|Caribbean Junior Chef of the Year Isaiah Connel (center) pictured with Alec Sanguinetti, director general & CEO of CHTA; Peter Olsacher, Bahama Breeze; Klaus-Jurgen Kurten, export director of Henkell & Co.; and Josef Forstmayr, chairman of CHTA.|
Caribbean Pastry Chef Medal Presentations sponsored by Albert Uster Imports
- Gold Medals: Pablo Colon, Puerto Rico and Eric Burrell, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Silver Medals: Lincoln Peterkin, Jamaica; Dulish Perera, St. Lucia; Carlos Anthonij, Curacao; Kendell Mulzac, Trinidad & Tobago; Shirmel Gumbs, Anguilla; Wenzel Brown, Bahamas and Valery Abrahan, Haiti
- Bronze Medals: Ansony Salmon, British Virgin Islands and Janelle Crawford, Barbados
Caribbean Bartender Medal Presentations
- Gold Medal: Jamaal Bowen, Barbados and Daniyel Jones, Trinidad & Tobago
- Silver Medals: Gonzalo Placencia Perez, Curacao and Roberto Rodriguez, Puerto Rico
- Bronze Medal: Henry Prince, British Virgin Islands; Gerald Knowles, Bahamas; Michou Angus, Haiti; Melissa Fletcher, Jamaica; Taffy Hodge, Anguilla; Algernon Boston, U.S. Virgin Islands and Barkus Henry, St. Lucia.
|Caribbean Bartender of the Year Jamaal Bowen (left-center) pictured with Peter Olsacher, Bahamas Breeze; Klaus-Jurgen Kurten, export director Henkell & Co.; and Josef Forstmayr, chairman of CHTA.|
Caribbean Ice Carving Medal Presentation
- Gold Medal & Ice Carver of the Year: Randie Anderson, Jamaica.
- Silver Medal: Imran Ashton, British Virgin Islands.
- Bronze Medal: Ancillemo Solomon, Bahamas.
Caribbean Team Medal Presentations sponsored by U.S. Dairy Export Council
- Gold Medals: Puerto Rico Culinary Team and Trinidad & Tobago Culinary Team.
- Silver Medals: Anguilla Culinary Team; Curacao Culinary Team; U.S. Virgin Islands Culinary Team; Haiti Culinary Team; Barbados Culinary Team.
- Bronze Medals: Jamaica Culinary Team; Bahamas Culinary Team; British Virgin Islands Culinary Team and St. Lucia Culinary Team.
Eleven teams participated in Taste of the Caribbean, hailing from Anguilla, The Islands of The Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Curacao, Haiti, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, Trinidad & Tobago and United States Virgin Islands.
This year’s host sponsors were CHTA and MasterCard Worldwide, Team of the Year sponsor U.S. Dairy Export Council, Pastry Chef of the Year sponsor Albert Uster Imports, Chef of the Year Sponsor Sysco, Sponsors Certified Angus Beef, Exposure4, Henkell & Co.and Interval International, Platinum Media Sponsor Welcome Channel Miami & The Beaches, Silver Media sponsor Miami Magazine and Caribbean Online Magazine and supporting sponsors American Airlines and Virgin Holidays.
For more information on the Taste of the Caribbean visit http://www.caribbeanhotelandtourism.com/events-taste/event-taste-about.php or contact CHTA at (305) 443-3040. Follow Taste of the Caribbean on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/CHTATasteoftheCaribbean and Twitter www.Twitter.com/CHTATasteCarib.
Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association
The Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association (CHTA) facilitates the full potential of the Caribbean hotel and tourism industry by serving members’ needs and building partnerships in a socially responsible and sustainable manner. Celebrating its Golden Jubilee in 2012, CHTA is the voice of the Caribbean hospitality industry for the development of the region in the highly competitive and sophisticated environment of international tourism. Today, tourism is widely recognized as a pivotal industry in the economy of the region – and CHTA functions as the common denominator for this industry in a region of diverse nationalities, languages and styles, identifying mutual problems and marshaling the resources of the active and allied members to devise solutions. CHTA represents all facets of the hospitality industry with more than 725 member hotels and 375 allied members.
For more information, visit http://www.caribbeanhotelandtourism.com. Follow CHTA on Facebook www.Facebook.com/CaribbeanHotelandTourismAssociation and Twitter www.Twitter.com/CHTAFeeds.